Friday, June 11, 2010

Debriefing as women


Well, that's what Gabby called it when she came into the kitchen on Monday evening and told us that Christine wanted to get together with us and Karen Suderman on Thursday. It actually had very little to do with debriefing about, well, anything. Regardless, we still wanted to call it that. So while the boys were taking over the lounge that evening watching Lord of the Rings, Gabby, Connie, and stayed in the kitchen and made a "women's issue" list to discuss on Thursday.

Thursday came around, and even though I felt bad for leaving the boys to a normal work day, while we women got the day off, I was super pumped. Karen and Christine took us around the Midmar Meander all day – it was great! (Midmar is this dam/large lake and you can drive around it to all these tiny craft shops. Awesome). We had wanted to go out to breakfast at this Belgium Chocolate Coffee shop (I know, right?), but there was some plumbing issue and so the café part was closed. Instead, we briefly explored the chocolate shop and had a little pre-breakfast chocolate. (Yep, chocolate for breakfast. I knew right away that this was going to be a good day). We eventually found ourselves at this Farm Stall/Café called "Piggly Wiggly" and actually the sign kind of looked like the grocery store in the south. It was beautiful – well at least I think so, but then again, going to get coffee/breakfast is like my favorite thing to do recently. One of the reasons to blog about this day was because of the coffee drink we had – it was a chocolate double expression cappuccino with chocolate mousse covering the top. Oh. My. Gosh. So great. The café was actually part of a "farm store" so the three of us bought great preserves for Sanford, Karl, and Willie (our Dads).

But I think the funniest thing about this day was the fact that Connie had brought the list and we actually talked about "issues" that were on it. It was great. The whole day was very much needed and so much fun. I decided to claim it as part of my birthday celebration, even though it technically wasn't "for" that. I am really grateful for all of those women in my life. And for the ability to eat chocolate with them in the morning.

South Africa is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment