Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Birthday Birthday Birthday

Well people, this past weekend was my birthday. And I do mean weekend. Every since I met Jill Enoch that fateful day in August 2005, my life has never been the same. (This doesn't count the time we met at orientation and stood their awkwardly while Keith kept recording our future dorm room). See, Jille believes her birthday is the month of October. And although this is strange thinking – I believe in it. Ever since then, I have decided to celebrate people's birthdays for longer than just one day (because what's the fun in that?) Since this practice, I have now come to the belief that my birthday should also be a long celebration. And so in this 23rd year, that's exactly what I decided to do.

Here is what we did.

1. Well this first one wasn't technically my birthday celebration, but I count it as because it was close to my birthday and awesome. On Thursday, we went out for brunch/shopping with Christine and Karen (see previous blog). It was so great.

2. Friday, (this also wasn't a "sanctioned" birthday celebration, but it was fun) we went to Imbali to watch the Bafana vs. Mexico match on a big screen at a stadium there. Although standing for three hours sucked, it was fun, especially to see all the fans go crazy when Bafana scored.

3. Saturday (okay this was an official birthday thing), my team "kidnapped me" (like blindfolded me and put me in the car and drove around awhile) and took me to a field at UKZN. We got there, they took off my blindfold and there were the LDs, and the Sudermans (and two MMN related people). Eventually the Sawatzky's came too. It was awesome. We played ultimate Frisbee, which I am pretty sure we haven't played since the end of 2009. I don't know why. It was really fun. Afterwards, we went to the Suderman's house to eat a yummy lunch of haystacks/taco salad and watched the Argentina vs. Nigeria game. And to top it all off, in the evening we went up to Hilton to the LDs to watch the England vs. USA game. Oh man. That was awesome. Confession – it was the first time I've ever seen the US play soccer. Wow. But the fun part was that all the Americans (practically) in the room (so Connie, me and the LDS) were cheering for the US (duh), and then all the Canadians (Gabby, Tim, Kyle and the Sudermans) were cheering for England. And when the States scored later in the game – good dang, did we yell for about a minute. It was the best. And probably the only time I've ever really gotten into soccer.

4. Sunday, Gabby took me out for coffee at Essence in the late morning after church. It was great. I love that place, and that girl, and coffee (although we actually ended up getting milkshakes, but it's fine. I love those too).

5. Monday – My actual day of birth. In the morning, I woke up "earlier" than I needed to and found that Constance had stayed up all night long making croissants for my birthday. Wow they were yummy. I then headed off to Essence to work on some writing stuff and eventually met the rest of my team there for brunch. In the afternoon, the girls (including Nicole) and I, went to the mall to spend the rest of the money my parents had given me for warm clothes. And then finally, in the evening we went to the Suderman's (well they weren't there but we had to take care of their dog so we just stay there) ate Fajitas and cake and watched the Italy vs. Paraguay game or the Chaco vs. the World as Kyle referred to it. It was a great day. Lots of high-fives were given and received.

I had no idea that I was going to spend my 23rd birthday in South Africa. It definitely makes me wonder where I'll be in a year from now because I have no idea. Heck, I don't even know where I'll be in 4 months. I guess that's just part of the adventure. Okay, 23, let's do this thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment