Saturday, January 30, 2010

Environment Impact


Yesterday embodied irony. Why? Well, yesterday I succeeded in killing the environment, but also tried to salvage it at the same time. I guess we all do this every day, but I was definitely made aware of it in evident ways.

Yesterday was my first real day of volunteering with A Rocha, the Christian based environment group. (Thanks to Christine and her knowledge that I need to get out of BCI more often, I am helping them with some of their environment clubs they host in schools). We had "club" with only four boys at an all boy's school who were absolutely adorable, despite the fact that they were very distracted. We had them read little books about "reducing, reusing, and recycling." Afterwards, we were supposed to come up with ideas of how we can practically do all three at the school. Well, practical was the main issue. My favorite part was when Jason said, "We should just have the dinosaurs eat all the waste." I know he wasn't dead serious but I am not exactly sure how much of a joke he was making. Regardless, it was awesome. I didn't do a whole lot, but hopefully, once I start feeling more comfortable I can really connect with the kids and have a great time with them. I really appreciate the fact that there isn't very many in the club. I never know what to do with large groups of children. It's way too overwhelming.

On the flip side, I spent the rest of my Friday making manuals for the "school of leader's" program that BCI does for leader's training. It took forever. And I mean forever. I made copies in the morning, when I got back from A Rocha, and then in the evening too. Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous this was, I probably used about 5 reams of paper and didn't get out of there until close to 11. Awful. Mostly it was a shame how much paper and ink I was wasting. Most people just chuck these books after they are done with them despite the fact that we have a recycle bin in the church.

So. It was a pretty interesting day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment