Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy holidays

Yes. South Africans know how to take holidays. Not only do we get to celebrate Christmas, but since this is also the summer season, things here are extra chill. This past week the office has been closed so my teammates and I find ourselves on an actual holiday! It's been really relaxing and I wish this week could have stretched on forever. Shoot. I could nothing all the time and be completely content. (Okay, maybe not, but who hasn't had those thoughts during vacations)?

So what have been up to since we aren't working? Well, a lot actually. Here are some of the highlights from this past week

  • All this holiday season, Thandi has been arranging for us to go to church people's house for suppers. It's been incredible. We've had a lot of Indian food, so how could it not be a good time? But seriously, it's been great actually getting to know more people in the church and kicking back and just having a good time with each other – no strings attached.
  • The carpenters who work right outside our door are on holiday too, thus it has been incredibly peaceful around the manse.
  • On Wednesday we went to Midmar Dam with Phil and Christine's family, Malcolm and Lyndel (from church), and the Caister family (Phil and Christine's old neighbors – we went to their house for Thanksgiving). It was such a relaxing day. We had a picnic, played in the water and got a game of ultimate Frisbee going. That was probably my favorite thing we've done this break.
  • On Thursday, the Toohey family took us to Durban to go Ice Skating. Yes. That's right. Ice Skating in Africa – never thought I would ever do that. Afterwards we headed to the beach for a little bit. What a strange, but awesome, combination of things to do.
  • Saturday was probably one of my favorite days of this week (although they are all good, so it's hard to make that comparison). We got up this morning and headed over to this field near the church to play ultimate Frisbee with a group of people from youth. It. Was. Awesome. I am so glad I got over my fear of playing at Bluffton and just did because, dang it, I love that game more than I ever had before. We play it a lot here, which makes me so happy. We played three games and practically swam in the nasty humidity. Afterwards we headed to Eden's house to cool off in her pool, which turned into a game of water volleyball. Then we played janga, ate lunch crazy late and then proceeded to watch two movies. Oh man, what a great day. But the real exciting part is that I feel like we're starting to make real friends here. Ah, yes. Finally.
So the moral of this story? I could be on holiday forever. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I agree...I have been on break for two weeks myself and could decide to do that full time. Thanks for the update Anna!

    ReplyDelete