Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Weekend Happenings

So if you are expecting anything deep from this blog, you won't find it here. But I had a really great weekend (for once) and thought that I should blog about it because I am sure that people think that I am depressed all the time here. So here you go world, it is not true. I do like it here – even if it still is only occasionally still. But hey, that's a step forward, right?

For the sake of not dragging this blog out with meaningless details, I am just going to make a list of all the happenings.

We had dance practice on Saturday morning. Yes. Dance practice. Gabby, Connie (yes we actually got Connie to start dancing – halleluiah) and I have joined the church's contemporary dance group (or more like the "not the hip-hop" dance group). It's been awesome. We are actually dancing this coming Wednesday and Sunday. I forgot how much I love dancing. Okay, that's a lie. I never forgot but it's great to be back in it even if I don't always know what I am doing. It's been a lot of fun, not just because of the dancing factor but also because the group we dance with is completely awesome.

Saturday evening, Tim, Gabby and I went with James and Joan Alty, Andrew and Karen Suderman, and three of the MCC SALTers we met at retreat, Andrew, Felicia, and Kendra, went to the Hexagon theatre at the University of KZN. It was a "bring your own dinner" dinner theatre so James and Joan brought in this awesome chicken dinner for all of us. The play was a murder mystery but it was also only a two person act. At first it was like "uh, what's happening" since they were playing all these different characters and told a lot of South African jokes that I didn't understand. But in the end, I was very impressed. The acting was excellent and they even involved the audience. During one of the intermissions, our job was to figure out who we thought was the murder and why. Then all of the tables had to go around and guess. It was really fun. Plus, the atmosphere was excellent, the company amazing, and the hot chocolate Gabby and I bought, delightful. After the theatre we all headed to the Alty's for coffee and dessert so a cultured evening all around.

On Sunday we got out of the skit we were supposed to do back in November again, but only for the first and second services. (score). Even though we had to do the skit for the youth service, and it was so mediocre, we did get to see Abie and the Bri-brother's lip-sync act again. It's awesome. So all worth it, I guess.

On Sunday evening we had the RJ event: Chili night for a bunch of our friends (mainly most of our "contemporary dancers"). It was aMazing! Tim made the chili con carne, Connie made the vegetarian option, and I made a white chicken chili (it was so good!) We ate dinner outside and then when we came back inside (due to the lack of lighting and the threat of rain) a random dance party busted out. Oh man. This might have been my first "I love being here" moment. So big day for me.

Okay, Monday counted as the weekend since we worked extra on Friday. So in the late morning we met Ian Caister (who we met during the North American Thanksgiving when we went to his parent's house) and a bunch of his friends in Durban and went to the beach for a few hours. It wasn't sunny or very hot, but it was actually very nice. Plus on our way out of PMB we grabbed donuts at Spar, so yes, excellent. As a person who needs contacts outside of BCI and PMB, this was a very much needed break.

Well those are the highlights.

2 comments:

  1. so glad it was a great weekend! sending hugs and kisses all the way from Paraguay. miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah!!!!!Great!!!!!Wonderful!!!!!I love the weekends too although I can't say mine was as exciting as yours. I spent it inside because of winter weather!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete