Tuesday, February 16, 2010

If you can’t stand the heat*…

Oh no you don't. Don't you dare finish that sentence.

You may be wondering why I stopped you in mid thought. Well, my friends, it's for your own good. Lately, my team and I have started doing something ridiculous – well even more abnormally weird than all the strange stuff we already do. I am not sure how it started but carefully hung on our fridge at the manse is a chart that reads "Pun Points" Here is the basic break down.

First, of course, is the Puns. If say a pun in your everyday conversation than you get 2 points

Second is the contextual quoting. If you use a quote from a song or a movie that fits in perfectly with the conversation you are having than you get 1 point. (You can't just belt out movie quotes, because we do that all the time. It has to make sense within the normal pattern of the conversation.

Third is penetration points, which somehow managed to be 2 points. If you use this word correctly in a sentence than you are awarded the points.

Forth is twisted clichés (i.e. Gabby once said that she "hasn't fallen too far from the apple" although this was purely accidently, she got points anyway). If take a cliché and change it for the better you get 1 point.

And finally, if you use a regular cliché, like the one I started in my title of this blog than you get docked 3 points. Yeah. It's been rather rough and all of us are hurting pretty badly because of clichés. You don't actually realize how many you use in everyday conversation. Well, not us. Not anymore.

And yesterday at supper Kyle proposed the idea that we start rating stuff when we say we "hate" or "love" things. For example, I love that shirt (5/10) or I love my family (10/10).

So who knows how long these things will stick around but we have managed to have elaborate conversations about who should or should not get points and how much we love things on a scale from 1-10. (Jesus is 11). Regardless, I thought it was worth mentioning.


 

*This start of a cliché should in no way influence my points because I didn't finish it and I was using it as an illustration. Besides, it's freaking hot here so it works on that level too.

3 comments: