Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Praise Habit

The spiritual life is first of all a life. It is not merely something to be known and studied, it is to be lived. – Thomas Merton

Last month, I received a "Christmas" package from my sister – inside it, tons of delightful items (my sister is the best), including David Crowder's book Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi. I was psyched to read this book. I really like David Crowder's stuff – which is usually different then "typical" praise and worship music (whatever that means), especially his latest CD, Church Music. I guess I've been reading too many "profound" books lately because I was definitely surprised at how random this book is most of the time. (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since David Crowder is crazy). But actually, it was a good read, especially if it gets its own blog post, hey?

This book spoke about how Praise is a habit that we were intended to have – like breathing or eating or sleeping. Praise is something that is natural because we were made by a relational Creator God. And that God is everywhere. In the breath we breathe, under rocks, in our skin, and in our love. I really liked the end, which summed it all up: Praise is a response.

"Praise happens when there is revelation, and there is revelation waiting for us around every bend, in places we would not suspect. Our task is to live with eyes wide open to God's greatness because when we see the imprint of the Creator, our insides will swell with devotion, our hearts will erupt with thankfulness. You will live, breathe, and radiate praise. The habit isn't learning how to praise; it is in reminding yourself who to praise. It is a remembering who you are. It is remembering of your identity."

I really liked this passage, especially since I have a really hard time here at BCI trying to fit in – trying to experience God in the same way that "everyone else does." When really, that is stupid because God has already given me the notion of how to praise God. It is very much a part of who I am, like my own heartbeat. Often, here I have been surprised by God in so many different, unexpected places – most of them outside the walls of the church. I have been learning a lot about what it means to praise God with my entire Life, not just my voice, singing along to Hillsong on Sunday mornings.

Anyway, those are just some reflections I wanted to share this morning, while Joshua Radin sings softly and banana bran bread cools on the counter.

Praise is the culmination of our enjoyment of anything – C. S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Anna! I really needed to hear this today. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete