Monday, November 2, 2009

Magical Hilton



"I love going to Hilton. It's such a magical place – good things always happen!"

After a long weekend, Phil and Christine told us on Sunday evening that they were going to take us out for coffee in the morning. But it turned out that if by coffee they meant by going to their house, talking over cups of tea, coffee, and scones(!), eating lunch with them, practicing driving, playing ultimate Frisbee with Nathan, Annika, and Lydia (their kids), hanging out afterwards/playing their piano, eating supper with them and borrowing a ton of books and movies from them, then yes we were going for coffee.

Best. Day. Ever.

It's amazing how Phil and Christine always seem to know when we've had a long week/weekend and really need some time off. And it's amazing how leaving Pietermaritzburg bring with it such a feeling of relief – or rest, I am not even sure how to describe it. But I do believe that Connie's comment (quoted above) summed up the whole day.

Even if we had only stayed for the morning, the day still would've been incredible. Debriefing with the Detweiler's is really helpful – especially when I realize that all the things I am dealing with in the BCI community are not abnormal things. It's not always easy sharing things that I've been struggling with but afterward, it was like I just exhaled after awhile of holding my breath and walking on eggshells.

One element of the day included another driving lesson from Phil. After lunch, Connie and I headed out in our ghetto-fabulous Honda as Phil patiently instructed us, once again, how to drive shift. Actually, I am rather proud of myself. I only stalled out two or three times, didn't go on the wrong side of the road and actually shifted up to 3rd gear. (Whoa. I know). I am not sure when I am going to gain enough confidence to drive in traffic in the city (the neighborhood that they live in is really chill – actually some parts of Hilton remind me of North Carolina). I might just have to jump right into it. We'll see.

But I will say one of the best parts (even though the entire day was good) was playing ultimate with the kids. I haven't played since Bluffton days and so it felt good to get back in to it. Yes please. I think that we might try and get a Frisbee and play sometime on the church property.

So now that our Sabbath day is official over, I feel as if I can face this upcoming week with a new sense of rest and anticipation. Phil and Christine, you are incredible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment