Monday, September 28, 2009

So this is Africa?

I should've know that if the first thing we heard as we stepped off the plane on to Africa "soil" (aka the Jo'burg airport terminal) was Justin Timberlake's song Bringing Sexy Back than this journey to Pietermaritzburg was going to be interesting. Very interesting.

We as North Americans have a lot of stereotypes about what Africa is like. You know, living in huts and all that jazz. Well, welcome to the world of globalization. I knew that Africa wasn't going to be like that. After all, I am living in a city. Still, I never really realized how "westernized" everything was going to be until I found myself standing in a mall in Bloemfontain. weird.

Thanks to globalization, there are many things here that make things seem fairly familar - like KFC's everywhere. Yet, at the same time everything is so completely different than what I am used to.

I have a lot of issues with the United States. Part of my reason for participating in Radical Journey was to get out side of the American perspective. However, now that I am here I actually find myself missing home. And since "home" for me is a combination of missing North Carolina, Illinois, and Ohio all at the same, it basically comes down to one simple thing: I miss the States.

Wait. What?

Yeah, it's weird for me to say. Actually embarrassing. Still, it's where I am from so it is still an essential part of my story and who I am. I guess I never really realized it until now as dumb as that sounds.

So here I am in Pietemaritzburg, wondering how do I make a place where I am not comfortable home? I am not sure. I know, in time, it will come. But as I scrubbed the mouse droppings off the counter tops and floor in the kitchen, I couldn't help but think, I wonder how long it's going to take...

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I get exactly what you're saying Anna. You have a great heart, thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete