Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hospitality takes to the streets

Why are you doing this?

I looked at the lady next to me in line and fumbled awkwardly with my wallet.

That's a good question. Why am I doing this? Why am I standing in a Starbucks downtown trying to pay for someone's coffee? I don't even know this person.

Earlier that Monday morning, we met with Krista (one of the RJ staff) at Union park where we sat on blankets (ate Tim's birthday cake for breakfast), and talked hospitality. What does it mean to be hospitable?

I've been struggling with this question for awhile now and how its implications impact my actions as a follow of Jesus Christ. I remember learning during my time at Bluffton that in the Greek hospitality literally means love and stranger. But what exactly does that look like? How do we love people we don't know, who walk the streets of Chicago not making eye contact, and who are way outside our realm of comfort (especially when we have limited - or no - financial resources to use)?

So there I was in Starbucks getting shot down. The plan was to buy a coffee for myself and somehow figure out how to slip extra money to the cashier, discreetly letting her know my intentions. Well, it didn't go as planned. Thanks to the excellent service I did not have time to carry out my plan. So instead I turned to the woman who was getting ready to pay and said, "um this is random, but can I buy your coffee?"

She tactfully refused to let me.

Although I stood there, rather disappointed, we did manage to have a little conversation about why I was trying to hard to buy a total stranger coffee. I am sure they thought I was crazy, but hopefully it brightened their day a little bit and got them thinking.

Okay, Plan B.

In the end, my group (consisting of Ruth and Rachel) spent the rest of the morning handing out water to the homeless sitting along the streets.

So beyond my aching feet from walking in circles downtown, came this deep sense of what it means to love people through simple actions. Making genuine eye contact with the homeless (and truly seeing them) gave me a fresh perspective of God's love. As well as new insight to who God has called me to be.

This week, I've been reading Rob Bell's book Velvet Elvis, and this quote really resonated with me. "I have been told that I need to believe in Jesus. Which is a good thing. But what I've been learning is that Jesus believes in me... the rabbi thinks we can be like him."

Jesus believes that I have the capability to love people like he does. Me? Really? Even though I am liar, a fool, and a failure? Often times, I let myself get completely overwhelmed with how much is wrong in this world and how little I can do about it, if anything. Yet, Jesus still believes I can be like him.

right now. in this place.

Yep. That's awesome.

It's amazing how something as simple as handing out water bottles could teach me something so important.

3 comments:

  1. goodness, you're a good writer. thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, my friend. Thank you for sharing, and I just wanted to let you know that I visit your blog daily to see if its been updated yet. I love reading about your experiences, and you are a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete