Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cultural Mosaic

This past weekend I was filled to the brim with culture. As I watched men and women kick and swirl to traditional Greek music or as I listened to the Spanish lyrics and the sultry high notes of a trumpet, I realize something I’ve known all along: I’m very white.

Sometimes being Caucasian makes me feel like I have no culture at all. Not that there is anything wrong with being who I am. After all being ethically Swiss-German Mennonite does have its perks. Yet, when I saw and tasted the cultures at the Taste of Greece at Greek Town and the Viva! Latin Music Festival at Grant Park I found myself wishing that I could ditch my horse and buggy and whoopie pies and move my hips to the beat.

I like this about Chicago. If I wanted to, I could “go all around the world” just by walking about the city. Even simple things like sitting on the el train makes me very aware of different cultures and, more importantly, God’s beauty. Every time the doors on the el open and close I see so many types of people, all of who reflect, in some way, the image of God. Don’t get me wrong, most of the time I find it really difficult to see this. After all, people look funny, crazy even, and sometimes smell really bad (which makes for a rather uncomfortable el ride. Today I felt like I had smoked a cigarette by the time I got to my stop. ew.). Nevertheless, some days I look around the train car and love that I don’t see very many people who look like me. I enjoy being a part of a bigger picture- one small face in a mosaic of God’s kingdom, moving to the different beats of the city. It makes me appreciate where I am more.

This knowledge really became real to me today wheb we headed over to the Church of the Brethren on the West Side where Pastor Orlando emphasized the importance of stories – our own stories and other’s as well. What stuck out to me the most was when Orlando reminded us of the simple fact that we cannot change where we’ve come from. Regularly, I find myself being rather apologetic (even if only internally) about coming from a white, rural culture. Hearing Orlando’s perspective helped me shift my thinking.

I don’t need to be apologetic about who I am and where I’ve come from. As I soak in the Chicago cultures, I realize that I am part of a greater story – God’s story. The more cultures I take in, the more my story unfolds. And the more my story unfolds to include more people, the bigger and greater the reality of God becomes.

I am eager to head back out into the city for more festivals and cultural experiences soon. I’m sure it will be easy to spot me – I’ll be the awkward white girl in the midst of all things, smiling brightly; taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment