Friday, September 18, 2009

The end of Chicago Life


This is the last time that I will blog in Chicago.

It’s pretty ironic. I am really sad to leave this place. Yeah, this place -the place where I had a really hard time being the first week. But, here we are, at the Radical Journey Orientation and I cannot help but feel this sadness that has settled among us during these last few days. It sucks.

Yet, I think about all the things that have happened and the living conditions we’ve been staying in and I cannot help but laugh about all the ridiculous things. Here are just a few things that I’ve come to think humorous and are now somewhat endearing.

We have this black velvet couch in the living room. Whenever someone sits down it makes a noise like a seal or maybe a dolphin.

Speaking of living room items – we also have this ghetto green chair that becomes an amusement ride once you sit on it. If it’s not learned against the wall than you will fall backwards in it. (Actually as I writing this blog, Devon just fell backwards in the chair).

One time Ashley told us to “suck it up and serve the Lord.” Someone wrote it down and posted it on our bulletin board in the hall. We’ve been saying it ever since.

Chicago is a sweet place to live. There is something interesting (or out of control) going on (and lot’s crazy people to interact with – especially at JPUSA). For example, while I was writing this blog, Kyle came into the room and said, “There is a guy outside juggling knives.” To that Jono responded, “Oh, Chicago.” Yeah. That pretty much sums it up.

Our kitchen does not have a sink.

Some of the RJ-ers are pretty talented in making strange noises. The latest craze is trying to make wookie noises. Most of the time it ends up sounding like people are making “dentist” noises.

Our beds are set up “camp style.” I sleep on the second bunk, adjacent to Devon. So sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, her feet are right by my face. I mean right by my face. It’s pretty funny.

It all the little things that have made this beginning part of Radical Journey really memorable. But I guess that’s a given. After all, living with 18 people is not always pleasant. Nevertheless, sticking a lot of strangers into a small place is a great way to build relationships. It doesn’t give you much of a choice. But it’s been really good. Living with Ashley, Shae, Stephanie, Becca, Gabby, Connie, Kyle, Tim, Daniel, Jono, Rose, Ruth, Naomi, Devon, Rachel, Tiana, and Becca (Nebraska) has given me a lot of joy – even in the hard times. It hasn't always been the easiest, but a privilege nevertheless.

It’s sad that this is it. But I know that God has all of us moving on for a reason.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa – here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment