Monday, April 5, 2010

The Brightside of Convention


(The last installment of the convention report 2010)

I am sitting on the couch in the lounge right now, feeling extremely tired, feeling like we've been through some type of hurricane. But I am so glad that all things convention are generally over. (We have a lot of cleanup work to do tomorrow). Even though I am glad that we plowed through convention, I decided to list some of the good things about convention instead of anymore headaches or complaints because I am sure no one really wants to read that (nor am I really comfortable posting them on the web for the world to see). Regardless, here are some good things…

Tired community: Even though being exhausted sucks a lot, people say and do lots of funny things when they are running on no sleep. Connie and I had a lot of great moments like this when were working in the tent on the production until 3:30 the night before convention. We watched some guys try and play cricket with a ball of type and huge round cardboard stick they found and laughed at pretty much everything, especially random things Christian said (who staysp in the tent to "guard" it from robbers).

Floyd McClung: This man was our guest speaker. He lives in South Africa but is actually from the States and is the guy who started YWAM apparently. He had a lot of good things to say.  I appreciated his theological depth

The arts: the NZMI churches have some pretty talented youth. It's cool to be in a church community that celebrates the arts and provides the time, space and talent in order to incorporate them into the worship services.

The production: See the blog about that – but I'll say it again. It was awesome to be able to participate in the convention in this way.

The youth Sports event: The youth spent Easter morning not in church, but rather playing sports and generally chilling at Carter High School. Okay, I was really apprehensive about this. The last sports thing the BCI had for the youth was awful, awful. But this time, they chose not to do tournaments but just made up teams them and let them play one another. I opted to be a part of "Team Tuck Shop" (aka working at the snack shop -South African style) instead of being forced to play. But even if I hadn't I doubt that I would've been forced to play soccer. So the morning turned into a fun time for sports fans and people who just wanted to chill on the grass all morning. It was nice.

I don't know what to call this one – but in the evening service on Sunday we sang the chorus of "How Great Thou Art" I practically started crying as about 1000 voices started singing this hymn with loud drums or bass. It was beautiful and practically a balm to my soul. And in that moment I was grateful to be a part of the church in the global south.

Being able to laugh: Lots of stressful and nerve-racking things happened this weekend and I am sure that I was not the best version of myself all the time. However, even now, just a day after the convention ended, we've been able to laugh. Christian and I especially like to quote the man who came in our house looking for our extra fridge in the back. Wow.

Well, I think that's it. And today is resurrection Monday. Praise God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment