Monday, March 1, 2010

The Youth Mega Camp


I didn't want this weekend to come at all.

As noted in a previous post, I typically tend to dread all things weekend related here, mostly due to the fact that all weekend activities are more exhausting and intense than the rest of the week. (That, and the fact that we hardly ever get "down time" anymore). This weekend, I had the same type of dread and probably the worst attitude about it ever. Not only did I know that BCI's "camps" are really, really intense, but this camp was not being held at the "training center" here at the church (which is where the camps are usually held). The camp was being held at an actual camp ground, with tents and the whole bit. I hate camping. I don't know sitting around the fire and doing things like that, but when it comes to sleeping on the cold, hard ground. No thanks.

All I can say is thank God that it turned out way better than anything I had expected. Here are some of the highlights:

1. Well my first highlight is actually a lack of highlight. Since I went to a Congolese wedding reception on Friday evening, and stayed way longer than Christine or I had anticipated, I actually ended up being "kidnapped" by Christine and the girls and spent the night with them in Hilton. So instead of trying to sort through the chaos of getting people settled in at the camp and sitting in a session that evening, I found myself at the LD's playing "Sequence" and sleeping in an actual bed. It was awesome. In the morning, after "sleeping in" longer than I would have if I had been at the camp, took a shower and ate awesome waffles with the girls before Christine took me down to the campgrounds in time for the first session. It was such a blessing. I have been completely overwhelmed and stressed out by all things BCI lately, so just having that evening and morning to be was greatly needed.

2. Even though we spent a lot of time sitting in sessions, we did have a lot of time to socialize as well, which was great. I feel like I got to know some of the younger girls who are a part of the youth. So hopefully now on Fridays, I'll be able to recognize more people.

3. During the camp we were "divided" up into groups by certain colors (or should I say colours). I was in the blue group. Part of being the task of being in these groups was to make up a group name and chant/cheer. I was in the "long Johns" team. In the evening during the bonfire time, all of the teams had to present our chants. And my team won! It was really funny. During this time we also roasted marshmallows while we RJers made impromptu s'mores out of saltine-like crackers for whoever was willing to try them.

4. We sang a lot of Zulu songs. I have always liked when we sing Zulu songs before at church, but this weekend my love for them definitely expanded. There were some amazing singers and harmonizers in the group. I still don't know most of the words, or what the songs are really about (besides God) but it was fun to participate in them nevertheless. It was during these times when I had some more "wow, I am actually in South Africa and it is awesome" moments.

Those were the main highlights.

However, it wouldn't fully be a BCI related event without me struggling with some things and I definitely did, including more expectations that the church has for me but are things that are way, way, WAY out of my comfort level or even ability level. Still, I did find that I am able to deal with these things better. I still might not really understand what is going on (especially during the impartation of the Holy Spirit type of times) but I can handle it more. I still don't understand it or know how to fully engage it, but at least I can start processing it somewhat now.

The hardest part of the camp came about on Sunday. After the "impartation" time was the prophesying time. After a session about different spiritual gift and how everyone has different ones, we senior leaders were supposed to go around and prophesize over all the kids. Uh. I don't think this is my spiritual gift really. Or even if it would be, I don't know how to properly engage in it. Instead, I went around and prayed for some of the girls just about really general (but true) things, like reminding them that God treasures them and loves them, etc. It could've been a lot worse, especially since I really struggle BCI expecting me to be the type of person that I am not. But it went okay I think. I am just glad it is over.

I should mention that I was also "prophesized." Our friend, Nicole, who is a dear friend of ours and is practically incorporated into our team, came up to me afterwards and told me that she sensed that God was telling her that "God has it sorted" – that God knows the desires of my heart and has things taken care of. That I haven't been overlooked or left out. I know these things are all really generally too, but thinking about "life after Radical Journey" has been something I've been praying a lot about. So even though this message wasn't anything specific, there was this sense of peace that, yes, God knows that God is doing.

Praise God that God, indeed, knows what God is doing and why I am here. Looking back on this weekend, I am surprised of how "far I've come" here lately, even though it doesn't seem like that most of the time. But the fact that this weekend was surprising nice, even with its challenges, says a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment