Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The kombi ride

Today something monumental occurred. I rode a kombi for the very first time.

Actually, I don't actually feel like I have accomplished anything really epic because I am still confused by the taxi service here. I definitely couldn't figure it out by myself since nothing appears to be marked as to where it is headed. Thankfully, I got to ride with Nolovuyo, the person I work with at A Rocha, so I just followed her. It was fairly uneventful. Although the Kombi driver did try backwards on the road for awhile, looking around for people to pick up. That was crazy, but at the same time, that is what I expect from taxi drivers here.

After we got back from the school we were at this afternoon, we got dropped off and headed different ways. As I headed back to Boom Street in the rain, I was reminded of the time when practically all the RJers walked back from a park in Chicago back to JPUSA in the pouring rain. It was not that extreme, but I kept thinking back to the first few days of trying to figure out Chicago's transportation system and how confused I was at first before I finally got it. It seems really silly now. So maybe there is hope here – that I'll actually be able to figure it out.

Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment