Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wet and Rainy

It was a wet and rainy day. I woke up this morning to a gloomy flat and a little bit of my own disappointment. Why? Today was the day we were going out into the city. and it was raining. "Oh boy," I thought, "if this weather keeps up all day... it's going to be a long day..."

Around 11 am, I found myself with a group of girls intensely studying the cta and Chicago maps. As the other groups left and headed out to their assigned destinations we took over the porch, planning out our general destinations and what train or bus to take to get there. It was a little bit overwhelming, especially when the Chicago map was about 5x5 feet. (Well, I am being overly dramatic but it was awful especially when we out and about trying to fold this beast of a map. No wonder tourists always look like fools. They are given huge maps that might as well at as a giant target or a sign that says "um, I'm not from here and I have no idea what I am doing). Eventually we figured out what to do and headed towards the El (Wilson red line).

Although we did have some confusion about directions, made a few mistakes, got a few blisters we found everything we were supposed to. My group of girls (Devon, Ashley, Rose, and Gabby) worked well together and I am really grateful. When we got lost, we did not let it stress us out and we still were able to laugh and smile about things thought the trek, which, of course, is the most important part. It was good to be downtown some today too. It helps me remember why I like this city.

But the weather did meet up with us again at the very end of our journey back to the Friendly towers. And by that I mean it poured. and I mean POURED. oh well. It's all a part of the adventure I guess.

Confession: A bunch of us are in the Dollop, which is a coffee shop in uptown. A few of us were here yesterday. Yep. Apparently this is going to be a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment