Sunday, August 23, 2009

The day before the beginning...

it's a rather hard job to pack your life into a suitcase, a duffel bag, and one over sized (and overly stuffed) purse. I've been rather proud of myself actually. I managed to pack with only one major break down (although I seriously doubt my ability to carry my collect of stuff for longer than 30 seconds).

Although I officially declared myself done packing the night before I left Asheville NC to go to Morton IL, I found myself spending my last evening repacking. Aaron and Janice had an larger suitcase that they weren't using. So although I am not bringing anymore stuff than what was tightly compacted into my own suitcase, it doesn't appear to be the case. My new suitcase (still red) is massive. No wonder airlines started cashing in on suitcase weight. I am sure that someone could easily stuff 100 pounds into this suitcase. ridiculous. No worries though, I only have 51 pounds. (and it will magically only be 50 pounds when I weigh in at the airport. somehow...)

I leave for Chicago tomorrow and as of 2pm Radical Journey will officially be underway. As I sit here tonight, on the eve of summer's end, I can't help but feel sad. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to be a part of Radical journey. But I realized today that the next time I see my niece, she'll be 1 1/2 years old. Meaning, she will be walking and maybe talking. Although there will be a lot of differences when I get back, Mikaela represents that the most to me right now and all that I will be missing.

But I can't get stuck on that. It's been a good summer and after 7,399 miles of traveling that took place in the past 4 months I am ready to add a "few" more.

So here's to the next phase of life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Banana I am so excited for you! :) I can't wait to hear all about your crazy South-African adventures. It's true, that when you think about how much things will change while you are gone, it gets kind of scary and weird! But then you realize how much YOU are about to change-do-see-feel in the next year..and while still scary, the excitement kind of takes over. :) I am praying for you as you embark on this journey!!! I love you friendie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we are sure praying for you! Gra'ma

    ReplyDelete